Sunday, November 11, 2007

YOUTUBE RECOMMEND


Okay, I'll be honest with you: I'm not fond of ventriloquism. As in, I'll go out of my way to avoid it. Same with mime, although I did get to see the inimitable Shields and Yarnell at Fisherman's Wharf before they became briefly famous and LOVED their act -- because of how they skewered tourists and businessmen more than an appreciation of mime per se.

So when my dear old friend Martha sent me links to Youtube videos of the guy (Terry Fator) who won a million bucks on America's Got Talent and I discovered he was a ventriloquist, well -- only the fact that Martha, who is deeply kind but extremely worldly and wise, said "You've got to see this" persuaded me to click on through.

She was right. It's a mind-blowing set of performances. Just goes to show, people can make art of out ANYTHING, and you never know what's lurking in a human soul.

Here's the links. I'd suggest viewing them in the order given.

Etta James
Kermit/Louis Armstrong
Roy Orbison
Garth Brooks
Dean Martin/Tony Bennett

2 comments:

little gator said...

Fnordy's a ventriliquist, like many of my nonbios. Her voice always seems to come from a nearby human, and he never moves his lips when speaking.

Maggie Jochild said...

Yeah, it's amazing how much Dinah manages to narrate around here without her little kitty lips ever seeming come apart.

Speaking of Dinah -- I didn't know her ICanHazCheesburger contribution had ever gotten posted. I made a copy for myself -- it's on the Meta page, bottom right, in her "section -- can you give us a specific URL?

And the other, X-rated LOLCats photos you've been sending? Keep 'em up!