Saturday, December 18, 2010

SATURDAY NIGHT JUDY GRAHN POEM 18 DECEMBER 2010

(Judy Grahn, January 1988, Oakland CA, photo by Robert Giard)

Every Saturday evening I post a Judy Grahn poem. Much of her best work is already up here (check Labels to the right for her name) but there is still a wealth more to share. If she'd been a straight white man, they'd have declared her poet laureate a long time ago -- but then she wouldn't be writing the stunning language that she does.


in the place where
her breasts come together
two thumbs' width of
channel ride my
eyes to anchor
hands to angle
in the place where
her legs come together
I said "you smell like the
ocean" and lay down my tongue
beside the dark tooth edge
of sleeping
"swim" she told me and I
did, I did

© Judy Grahn, from The Work Of A Common Woman

No comments: