Tuesday, April 5, 2011

POETRY MONTH FEATURED POET: SHARON BRIDGFORTH


Several years ago, I took a “Finding Voice” training by Sharon Bridgforth. That, in combination with mentoring by Terry Galloway in Actual Lives, is what turned me from a writer to a Writer and did, indeed, help me find my voice. Sharon had done this work for herself decades earlier. Her writing for performance is a national treasure. You should never miss a chance to see her work or learn from her. Below is one piece speaking to my life:

MY GOD

they say i do not deserve a child
say people like me should not
mother devilish influence
they say

my own mother say i'm gonn
die and burn in hell
gonn
die
and
burn in hell for what i'm doing

i say to her my own mother
since you ain't never been to my house/don't
know nothing bout my friends/ain't
had the pleasure of my lover's sunday
conversations what is it
you know bout
what i'm doing
thats so bad you would curse me/your
own child

she says it's a crime and a sin
punishable by god and man
to be homo sex ual

i say
then punish me

they say i do not deserve
a baby but i have one
and she is the most
perfect joy poopie diapers
and late night cries she
belches in my face/dribbles
on my clothes is always
on my hip/and i love her with
all my heart
i watch her as she sleeps/kiss
her when she wakes and/i knowing
a miracle when i see one would gladly
give my life for hers if God should
demand that exchange.

if two people a couple/share
this type of love for one of God's
babies does the gender of the couple
really matter?

i asked my God
and She said
naw.

© Sharon Bridgforth, from "Voices In The Dark", by Geecheee'd Out Press, 1992

No comments: