Tuesday, November 20, 2012

WE ALSO SERVE WHO ONLY...


(Fruit fly ovaries and uterus; photo by Gunnar Newquist)

Last night Plum showed up at 11:30ish and ate very cautiously. No sign of Puddy. I am not sure what's going on in Possomville. Margot did some research yesterday, and I did more today. Some brief highlights:

  • The name comes from the Powhattan word aposoum meaning white beast, and was first written in English in 1610.
  • They have awn hair only, and the fur is very soft.
  • Females have a bifurcated vagina and males have a bifurcated penis.
  • Their jaw is unusually full of teeth, and they have a hind digit without a claw that is opposable, as well as a prehensile tail.
  • They are usually solitary and nomadic, and their diet relies on carrion, though they are omnivorous. They can nurse up to 13 in their pouch, but often give birth to more because many newborns fail to find and attach to a teat.
  • They reach old age quickly.
  • "Playing possum", mimicking the appearance and smell of a sick or dead animal, is an involuntary act on their part but not always available to juvenile possums.

In other news, I had recertification assessments today by Andy the PT director and an RN from Gilead who chatted my head off and encouraged Scout's brattiest behavior. I answered the phone all day because I was waiting on a callback from the Star Plus Waiver worker, but she did not return my voice mail this morning. I was very cranky and antisocial by mid-afternoon.

No comments: